I am one month in to my wonderful Washington, DC adventure. I can't believe it! It doesn't feel like it's been that long, but it has. One thing I love about it here is that each day is different, and there is ALWAYS something new to learn.
Here is a small sample of the long list of things I've learned:
I LOVE trying local food places. Okay, that's not really new. But I definitely should have saved a lot more money before I came out in order to fuel that hobby. I have now made a rule that I can only eat out on the weekends. The struggle to follow that self-imposed rule is real. It's is literally a daily temptation for me...do I make that PB&J again or walk down the street to that seafood restaurant I've been wanting to try? "Not until Saturday, Bailey," is what I tell myself.
Museums are an all day thing. First of all, WOW the museums are incredible here. I remember on our first day here, my roommate and I set off to see a few of the museums. First up, the Air and Space Museum! 5 hours later...we finished at the Air and Space and decided that was probably enough for one day. Now we're much more prepared and try and tackle just one at a time.
This past weekend we went to the Newseum. I absolutely loved it! Any museum all about news is right up my alley! I also learned that literally anything can end up on display at a museum. Mom, you know that phone in the toy box you let the granddaughters play with? It's twin is on display at the Newseum. I'm pretty sure I remember Dad having the one next to it. Who would have thought?
Always be prepared for rain. The heat makes it hard to judge when it might rain, because thanks to the humidity, it always feels like it's going to rain even when it's clear outside. We've had some pretty wicked rainstorms over the past few weeks (and when I say rainstorms, it's more like torrential downpours!) For example, my beautiful afternoon walk to Target (about 2 miles away) turned into a sprint home in a crazy thunderstorm...by the time I got home, I was soaked. It legitimately looked like I had just jumped into the swimming pool with my groceries! I have video evidence, but blogger isn't letting me upload so you'll just have to take my word for it.
Stand Right, Walk Left. That is the DC rule for escalators and it SHALL NOT BE BROKEN! You can tell if someone's from out of town when they don't know to follow that rule. Glad I had people to warn me of that before I left!
Writing to your congressman is always a good idea. Being an informed citizen and exercising your right to speak up about issues you care about is a good idea. But, sending 20 faxes in a row about the same issue to your congressman...probably not the best idea.
Stay Informed. Read the Newspaper. Contribute. Work hard. All things I'm learning while working in the office every day.
I'm loving my DC intern experience and I can't wait for what the next month will bring!
Here is a small sample of the long list of things I've learned:
I LOVE trying local food places. Okay, that's not really new. But I definitely should have saved a lot more money before I came out in order to fuel that hobby. I have now made a rule that I can only eat out on the weekends. The struggle to follow that self-imposed rule is real. It's is literally a daily temptation for me...do I make that PB&J again or walk down the street to that seafood restaurant I've been wanting to try? "Not until Saturday, Bailey," is what I tell myself.
Museums are an all day thing. First of all, WOW the museums are incredible here. I remember on our first day here, my roommate and I set off to see a few of the museums. First up, the Air and Space Museum! 5 hours later...we finished at the Air and Space and decided that was probably enough for one day. Now we're much more prepared and try and tackle just one at a time.
This past weekend we went to the Newseum. I absolutely loved it! Any museum all about news is right up my alley! I also learned that literally anything can end up on display at a museum. Mom, you know that phone in the toy box you let the granddaughters play with? It's twin is on display at the Newseum. I'm pretty sure I remember Dad having the one next to it. Who would have thought?
Always be prepared for rain. The heat makes it hard to judge when it might rain, because thanks to the humidity, it always feels like it's going to rain even when it's clear outside. We've had some pretty wicked rainstorms over the past few weeks (and when I say rainstorms, it's more like torrential downpours!) For example, my beautiful afternoon walk to Target (about 2 miles away) turned into a sprint home in a crazy thunderstorm...by the time I got home, I was soaked. It legitimately looked like I had just jumped into the swimming pool with my groceries! I have video evidence, but blogger isn't letting me upload so you'll just have to take my word for it.
Writing to your congressman is always a good idea. Being an informed citizen and exercising your right to speak up about issues you care about is a good idea. But, sending 20 faxes in a row about the same issue to your congressman...probably not the best idea.
Stay Informed. Read the Newspaper. Contribute. Work hard. All things I'm learning while working in the office every day.
I'm loving my DC intern experience and I can't wait for what the next month will bring!

1 comment:
I love that phone. Hilarious that it is a museum! My current phone will probably end up right next to that one in the display case!
A new seafood place?! Your food escapades are the best! When you come home we'll have to do Tour De Food- Utah Edition!
Post a Comment